St. Joseph Cemetery is an integral part of St. Joseph Parish. It is a matter of respect for the deceased as well as our intention to maintain the cemetery in a fitting manner. We want all families and friends to be able to visit their loved ones knowing that the cemetery grounds are well taken care of. It is a reflection of the esteem and honor we hold for our former parishioners.
St. Joseph’s Cemetery Association General Rules
- The purchase of a cemetery lot gives the purchaser and his/her descendants in the direct line the right to be buried in an unused grave site.
- The purchaser acquires an easement to the land and not ownership.
- Anyone who buys or has bought a lot should have received an “Easement Form”, describing the exact location of the lot and the number of grave sites included. It should have the original purchaser’s name on it and it should be signed by the pastor and/or the St. Joseph’s Cemetery Representative. If you did not receive this document, you can contact the pastor or write to:
St. Joseph’s Cemetery Association
c/o Michael Gorgen
Dodgeville, WI 53533
- The current cost: $500 per grave space (as of 09/01/2016)Perpetual Care, which provides grave leveling and lawn care perpetually, is included. This charge does not include maintenance of any monument placed on the lot, the grave opening or grave closing fees. Opening and closing fees are paid at the time of burial and are based on the charge made to the cemetery for that work.
- All cemeteries have regulations controlling the spacing, placing and size of monuments. These regulations help protect the purchaser from inferior monumentation or are created to simplify grounds keeping.
The following rules apply:
- Perennial plantings and shrubs are not permitted. The six inches of concrete around the monument are intended to eliminate hand trimming and are to be kept free for lawn mower wheels.
- At least 42” must exist between above ground markers for mowers.
- Single graves require ground flush markers to maintain enough space for mowers between the above ground monuments.
- Above ground monuments must be at least 21” from right and left lot lines.
- Monuments must be purchased from a legitimate monument company, whose sales personnel have and follow the regulations given in a document called “ST. JOSEPH’S CEMETERY ASSOCIATION GENERAL RULES”. This document is available from the parish.
- For your protection, make requests for exceptions to these regulations to the Parish Council before you buy anything and before any work is begun at the cemetery.